Tuesday, May 20, 2008

The Dapper Man at the Bus Stop

I waited at the bus stop next to a dapper man who wore his security guard uniform like some people wear a 3-piece suit. He carried himself with precision even when he sat and pulled out his cell phone. I sat there reading Walking on Water, by Madeleine L’Engle, as I waited for the bus to take me to the park, and simultaneous baseball games for our kids.

The security guard spoke into his cell phone and had an animated conversation. I tried to focus on election returns and L’Engle for a few minutes, but he said something that caught my attention: “I done prayed that sh__ through. If she wants to do something about it, she can GO AHEAD!” After a few moments, he finished his conversation and noticed my book. "What are you reading," he asked. I muttered something about a great children’s writer and her opinions on faith in God, art, and writing. He looked disappointed, but as he walked away, he said, “Enjoy the book. Every book is a great adventure.” “True,” I said, but I really meant that every day in Long Beach is an adventure.